ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ReferenceHelper - interceptor
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:41:36 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:
>
>>Didn't understand a thing ;-)
>
> Me neither 8-)

:-))

Good, it means that I was right in my supposition.

The Ant HEAD gives you the possibility of intercepting the request to
resolve a property. In this way it's possible to insert an interceptor
that uses jxpath to resolve properties that start with jxpath: or
velocity or whatever.

It's theorically possible to do the same with references, and give the
possibility of having an interceptor to give the reference.

I tried to explain why it's more a complication than a feature, and in
fact it's now even more clear that it's too confusing.

I had a use case for it, but it now shows that it was too specific, so I
won't send a patch to have it done as instead I proposed earlier.

Still don't get it? ;-)

Don't worry, just take my word for it then: the reason why we have a
PropertyHelper and not a ReferenceHelper is that there is no compelling
enough reason to have it, also given that it's confusing.

Cheers! :-D

             - verba volant, scripta manent -