ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Burton <bi...@progress.com>
Subject [SUBMIT] Support for detached <exec> on Unix and Windows
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:24:35 GMT
Hello,

Earlier today, I posted scripts to ant-user
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=104322316306620&w=2) for
background command execution via <exec>.  Installation just entails
dropping the script files into ANT_HOME/bin.  Then you just specify the
<exec> task appropriately in your build.xml.

Unlike other solutions posted here which change the PumpStreamHandler
and Execute classes, this one allows starting long lived processes that
can remain running after the build file exits.  It works by starting the
desired command in such a way that all of stdin, stdout and stderr have
been closed or redirected.  Then, when the command is run in the
background, PumpStreamHandler won't hold onto those streams allowing the
command to continue running without Ant waiting for it to exit.

For this support on Windows, I used JScript (JavaScript) in Windows
Scripting Host, a scripting environment included with Windows
98/Me/2000/XP.  For Windows 95/NT, WSH can be downloaded from Microsoft.
  This seemed to me the best solution as Ant doesn't distribute binaries
of any kind and I didn't want to try and be the first to try and start.

I suppose the next step might be to write wrapper tasks for this
functionality which extend <exec> and <java> ant could work with 1.5.
For 1.6, <exec> and <java> could be enhanced to use these scripts
directly when the appropriate attribute is specified.

Thoughts?

-Bill