ant-dev mailing list archives

From Claas Thiele <cthi...@ct42.de>
Subject Re: Import use cases, basedir behavior and target, property prefixing
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:03:36 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

>Nick Chalko wrote:
>

>>>(2) linking subprojects in a large project
>>>

>>I do not think (2) is a usecase for import.  I think it is better
>>handled by the "ant" task.
>>

>I think (2) is an important usecase - at least for me.
>
>If you use import, you can call any target you want from any
>of the build files, reuse fragments and targets
>from other build files, etc.

Possible disadvantages of <ant> use:
- cannot span dependencies to 'imported' targets
- cannot access properties and data (i.e. xmlcatalogs, ...) of
'imported' files

Example for missing dependecy feature:

Assuming some subprojects. Each subproject uses a common library to be
build before building the subproject.
Calling the subprojects from main project via <ant> activates the build
of common lib for each subproject even it is not nessesary.