ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improt task and project basedir
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:55:47 GMT

Alexey Solofnenko wrote:
> Hello Nicola,

Hi Alex. Happy to hear again from you on this :-)

> Externally loaded properties can be prefixed, since <property file=""/> and
> <xmlproperty> have "prefix" attributes, but externally loaded properties
> cannot be rebased in pre-processor, only in ANT itself. I had to provide a
> "project.root" property to ANT and use it in all externally loaded property
> files for path properties to work correctly.

It can be done probably if we tweak the new PropertyHelper to get a
value from the Project that tells him if he has to prefix the value or
not when inserting it. It should work with all variables.

> Property rebasing requires some discipline from a build writer. That means
> all path properties should be in <property location=""/> form. Sometimes a
> property can be used in both string and path context. That is why the real
> string property is not rebased, but a shadow rebased property should be
> created:
> <property name="some-dir" value="build"/>
>
> <fileset dir="${some-dir}/.." includes="${some-dir}"/>
>
> is translated into something like:
>
> <property name="some-dir" value="build"/>
> <property name="some-dir~~rebased"
> location="${**rebased-base-dir**}/build"/>
> <fileset dir="${some-dir~~rebased}/.." includes="${some-dir}"/>

Ahh, now I get it. Interesting. Yes, it still needs discipline from
writers but the file can be truly indipendent from importing or not.

> ANT itself can be changed to save three kinds of values for each property -
> a string value, path value and path list value. In that case no magical
> names are needed.

I'm not sure I get this...

Anyway, it can be done IIUC in PropertyHelper in the same way we make
prefixes.

> In case of one property uses another rebased property it does not have to be
> changed at all.
>
> I think that dropping property rebasing will leave build writing still
> inconvenient.

I'm trying to weight costs and benefits. Seems like th ebenefits are
going up and the costs down! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -