ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:47:08 GMT

Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Ok.
>> I don't see though what feature can be attained from "relying" on the
>> XmlProperty failing for file not existing. Can you please post a
>> use-case to compare with mine?
> Nicola Ken,
> Backward compatability isn't about what is sensible or what should be.
> Someone, no matter how silly it might be, may be relying on the current
> behaviour. They may want their build to fail unless a user has provided
> a required set of properties - who knows?

> OTOH, we do sometimes break things in minor ways - I'm happy to have it
> as it is now, if the change is documented as potentially build breaking.

I'll be ok in both ways. I sometimes forget that Ant is a very
particular project with regards to changes, because of it driving all
other projects with builds.

Let's see what others think about this and do what most prefer.

Thanks :-)

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>