ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs XmlProperty.java
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:38:27 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ok.
>
> I don't see though what feature can be attained from "relying" on the
> XmlProperty failing for file not existing. Can you please post a
> use-case to compare with mine?

Nicola Ken,

Backward compatability isn't about what is sensible or what should be.
Someone, no matter how silly it might be, may be relying on the current
behaviour. They may want their build to fail unless a user has provided a
required set of properties - who knows?

OTOH, we do sometimes break things in minor ways - I'm happy to have it as
it is now, if the change is documented as potentially build breaking.

Conor