ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Release Plans
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:21:16 GMT
I'd like to kick off a discussion about the next few Ant releases, what they
contain and what timeframes etc.

I think there is broad agreement on a 1.5.2 release pretty soon. I'd like to
make that the last 1.5 branch release as working on both branches is not
really efficient. Actually, my original intention was that branches would be
short lived and merges occur only around dot release points.

The next release to consider, is therefore 1.6. It has a number of pretty
core changes so far - top level tasks, the import task, the new project
helper, namespace support. I think we are pretty close to some form of
antlib system too. I'd also like to get some sort of polymorphism in there,
although that is less sure, at this time.

I don't think there should be much in the way of other major structural
changes in the core for this release. There will of course be continuing bug
fixes to core and tasks as always. I would, however, like to put a fair bit
of effort into trying out and testing these new features to make sure they
work as we want them to before committing them to a release. I think there
are probably a few interesting interactions we need to sort out :-)

As for timeframes, I'd try for the 1.5.2 release by end January and a 1.6
release by end May, maybe earlier.

This is not a vote, just a discussion starter to give us something to work with.

Thoughts?
Conor