ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Antlib... when?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 16:06:57 GMT

Christopher Lenz wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Conor MacNeill wrote:

>>> No, spot on - that is what I had in mind.
>>

>> I think too that this is the way, just with a change:
>>
>>  - Automatic antlib loads in ant.home/lib would be without namespace,
>> as they are treated as "default" ones.
>

> Not sure.
>
> Rather than adding an additional "ext" dir to separate between the
> default antlibs (i.e. the set of tasks distributed with Ant) and
> external antlibs, why not have all default antlibs specify
> "http://ant.apache.org/" (for example) as their namespace URI. That
> would be the default namespace for buildfiles, of course.
>
> External antlibs could still be placed in $ANT_HOME/lib, but would
> specify a different namespace URI in their descriptor.
>
> Am I missing something?

Technically you are correct. MHO is that putting them in phisically
different dirs is more evident to the users.
"This goes here, that goes there."

Just a possibility.

>>  - Normal taskdef would be without namespace.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to import "legacy" tasks into a namespace
> specified in the <taskdef>, though. Not sure how this would work, and
> it's not very important either ;-)
>
>>  - <antlib> call would be with namespace.
>
> Hmm.. can't parse this.. can you elaborate?

If I load tasks from an antlib, they get loaded with the namespace. The
above to cases are about implicit loading, by putting jars in special
dirs, this is about asking for it explicitly in the buildfile.

>>  - We can add a ant.home/ext dir where antlib loads *with* namespace
>>
>> As for a descriptor, being a Cocoon developer, and having used xml for
>> so much time, I can only suggest... not to use it, simple properties
>> like now is just good enough, just add a namespace property as
>> suggested above.   :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -