ant-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Antlib... when?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:41:13 GMT
Hi all,

jumping in...

Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> 3. If you don't need namespaces, you'll not have to use them. I.e. if you
>> have a simple project and use few libs - you can still use the simpler
>> syntax.
>
> what is the "simpler syntax"? You mean no namespace qualifiers? How do
> you see both these mechanisms working at once? - defining all tasks in
> the default namespace and ignoring collisions?
>
> This means the build file depends on the user's config to some extent.
> One user has no colision and uses <deploy> whilst another does and get
> the wrong <deploy> defined first. Not sure this is good.

I would say that tasks defined "behind the scenes" through the antlib
mechanism should always be defined in namespaces. However, users can
still define tasks manually using <taskdef>, and such tasks will by
default be available in the default namespace - this would provide the
required backwards compatibility, and users who don't want to deal with
namespaces just need to <taskdef> all required tasks manually.

I agree that antlib defining external tasks in the default namespace is
not a good idea.

>> The xmlns syntax is well defined - the only issue is the semantics of the
>> URI. Some people have strong opinions on that. My (strong:-)
>> preference is for a URI that does have some semantics - i.e. it can be
>> resolved to a java package. Some form of catalog can resolve this to
>> URLs or something
>> else.
>
> We need to have some mechanism to match the URI to a jar, whatever the
> URI format is. At this stage my pref would be to use a standard HTTP URL
> from which the library may be downloaded (not necessarily directly).

Why not use a mechanism similar to JSP1.2 taglibs?

Every JAR in $ANT_HOME/lib would be scanned for a descriptor in META-INF
(for example; be it some XML format or a properties file), and that
descriptor would contain a URI that needs to be used as XML namespace
URI in the build file.

Hope I'm not totally off here... haven't followed much of the discussion
before this thread.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de