ant-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <>
Subject Re: Antlib... when?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:41:13 GMT
Hi all,

jumping in...

Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> 3. If you don't need namespaces, you'll not have to use them. I.e. if you
>> have a simple project and use few libs - you can still use the simpler
>> syntax.
> what is the "simpler syntax"? You mean no namespace qualifiers? How do
> you see both these mechanisms working at once? - defining all tasks in
> the default namespace and ignoring collisions?
> This means the build file depends on the user's config to some extent.
> One user has no colision and uses <deploy> whilst another does and get
> the wrong <deploy> defined first. Not sure this is good.

I would say that tasks defined "behind the scenes" through the antlib
mechanism should always be defined in namespaces. However, users can
still define tasks manually using <taskdef>, and such tasks will by
default be available in the default namespace - this would provide the
required backwards compatibility, and users who don't want to deal with
namespaces just need to <taskdef> all required tasks manually.

I agree that antlib defining external tasks in the default namespace is
not a good idea.

>> The xmlns syntax is well defined - the only issue is the semantics of the
>> URI. Some people have strong opinions on that. My (strong:-)
>> preference is for a URI that does have some semantics - i.e. it can be
>> resolved to a java package. Some form of catalog can resolve this to
>> URLs or something
>> else.
> We need to have some mechanism to match the URI to a jar, whatever the
> URI format is. At this stage my pref would be to use a standard HTTP URL
> from which the library may be downloaded (not necessarily directly).

Why not use a mechanism similar to JSP1.2 taglibs?

Every JAR in $ANT_HOME/lib would be scanned for a descriptor in META-INF
(for example; be it some XML format or a properties file), and that
descriptor would contain a URI that needs to be used as XML namespace
URI in the build file.

Hope I'm not totally off here... haven't followed much of the discussion
before this thread.

Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>