ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Antlib... when?
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 15:18:15 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Any idea on when some sort of Antlib system will be setup?

I believe Ant 1.6 should contain some form of antlib functionality. MHO.

> Instead of loading "default" properties from a file in the ant.jar, we
> can do it for all jars in ${ant.home}/lib. This would make it simple to
> move the declarations out of the ant.jar and add "default" tasks to the
> run.
>
> Could this be a simple option to use?

The problem I see with this approach relates to management of task names. By
removing the management of task names from the properties file in ant.jar
you open up the system to issues such as task name collisions. IOW, since
the naming of tasks is no longer under centralized control (ie. as defined
in Ant's CVS), something needs to be done to manage a distributed task
namespace.

For example, if two jars in ANT_HOME/lib both define a <fubar> task, which
do you use?

Further I believe build files should make explicit the libraries/tasks they
depend on. IMHO, we don't want to tie a build file's operation to the
current user's config. Someone reading the build file should understand what
libraries they need to provide in their Ant configuration to use the build
file. It should not have to be a set of guess/try/fail cycles.

So, for me two requirements for antlib
1. Global management of task names, handling name collisions, name
resolution, aliasing, etc.

2. Declaration of library/task dependencies in build file.

Thoughts?

Conor