ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [HEADS UP] Gump now builds Centipede projects
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:51:40 GMT

Last Gump build has made a positive build of Jakarta POI using the
latest Centipede.

http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/jakarta-poi.html

Since we use an enhanced Gump descriptor for building with Centipede,
it's easier now for Centipede projects to run under Gump. At Krysalis we
are working on a cent that will help make a local installation of Gump
too, with a customized profile. I'd like to thanks Nick Chalko
especially for this, he has been driving Centipede in the right
direction, thanks Nick!

Some maybe are asking why all the CCs in this mail. Maybe these projects
don't know, but they are all related in a way.

Ant is what Centipede uses to build projects. Actually our buildfile is
a standard Ant buildfile, we just added extra tasks and imported
buildfiles, and renamed it to make it possible for the two to coexist
during migrations.
In the last days we've been working closely with Costin for the move of
embed to the core of Ant. I take this opportunity to thank Costin for
his great work on the embed proposal, really thanks.
This shows that projects can actually work together in cross-pollinatin.
For example, the XmlProperty task came from Centipede, as well as the
Import one, and other patches. Centipede helped shape the embed
proposal, and the embed proposal helped shape Centipede.

Krysalis Centipede  =  Ant + autodownloadable build plugins + needed
jars autodownload

POI has been in the latest days the guinea pig of our Gump run tests.
I've added a parallel centipede buildfile to the POI CVS, and now it's
that that Gump builds.
Thanks to all the POI developers for bearing us in these tests, and
especially Andy for pushing me into doing this in the first place.
Now I'll port the Forrest docs to the new format, and delete all the old
build dirs in CVS.

Finally, thanks to Gump for gumping, without it we would have taken
probably weeks to get the embed proposal working in Ant core, instead of
just days. Which means thanks to Sam, the driving force behind Gump.

Work is not finished, we will make the Gump-Centipede integration better
and better, and include cents (our plugins) to the Gump runs.

Thank you all.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -