ant-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Wilhelms <Christoph.Wilhe...@impress.com>
Subject RE: [ANTidote] Introspection implemented and updated ToDo's
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:39:41 GMT
Hi all!

> Erik's XDoclet thing *does* bring a solution, in fact :)

I know! I just wanted you to drop in the conversation ;)!

> The code calls the appropriate method in EnumeratedAttribute
> classes to
> get the list of allowed values and then puts them in the XML
> descriptor, currently as a comma-separated list with quotes
> around each
> value, but more ideally would be sub-elements that lists them
> individually to avoid tools having to parse further.  My original
> purpose was documentation, not tools, so there will be
> refinements like
> this needed.

After thinking about this for a while I think it is the best approach to go
the introspection way first without blocking the xDoclet way, because of the
following:

1. Direct Introspection works for all tasks and types "out of the box" quite
"well"!
2. The approach via xDoclet is MUCH MORE descriptive and the result, in
fact, will be "better". "Better" means, that the Task/Type designer directly
can/MUST control how it may look in a gui!
3. A reason to stick to introspection for a while is, that not "all" ;)
Tasks and types have xDoclet tags in them!

Erik: Do you think, that it can be valuable for all of us to use parts of
what your xDoclet proposal dos, direcly for introspection (like sucking the
value lists out of EnumeratedAttributes)?

@DominiqueD: Yes, I meant the "EnumeratedAttributes"! Sorry if I have been
confusing ;)!

Greetings,
Chris