ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Antoine Levy-Lambert" <levylamb...@tiscali-dsl.de>
Subject Re: The zip update problem
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:16:05 GMT
Some suggestions/questions concerning the solution :

1) ZipScanner class

it is currently implemented in such a way that the getIncludedFiles()
function answers with
an array containing as only element the name of the zip file itself.

I believe we should change the implementation of the class so that
ZipScanner.getIncludedFiles() gives
the list of entries in the archive which match the include and exclude
patterns.

Does anyone see a danger of breaking something here ?

2) DirectoryScanner and ZipScanner classes

Stefan Bodewig wrote :

>Where I was thinking about changes is the SourceFileScanner class,
> instead of only working on files, it should work on "resources" that
> had a name and a last modification time.  What we'd then need was to
> pass in "factories" to generate the source and target resources.
+1
maybe we could create such a Resource class under org.apache.tools.ant.types
it needs only two instance variables : String FileName and long
ModificationTime or something like that

Then the DirectoryScanner could store the results of
scanning internally as vectors of Resource

Classes interested in knowing the modification date/time of a file should
ask the scanner, not the file directly any more.

one would add two new functions in DirectoryScanner
long getModificationTime(String path)

and
Resource [ ]  list(String path)

this list function would be redefined in ZipScanner to list the zip entries

and would be called from the scandir method of the DirectoryScanner class to
replace dir.list() (Java.IO.File)

the rest of the logic of scandir should work; instead of maintaining vectors
of filenames, one would maintain vectors of the new Resource type so that
the scanner "knows" what are the modification times of each files.

Afterwards, the game is to make sure that packaging tasks always find out
about the date/time of files from the scanners, not directly from the file
system (FileUtils) because the scanned files can be on the file system or in
a zip file.

How does that sound ?

Antoine