ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need feedback on intended SourceFileScanner change
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:49:22 GMT
Thanks for your comments, Magesh and Dominique.

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> From: Magesh Umasankar [mailto:umagesh@apache.org]

>> public boolean isDirtyWhenComparedWith(Object src);
>> or if the "WhenComparedWith" seems to be pedantic,
>> public boolean isDirty(Object src);
>>
>> Other implementations of TargetObject may choose
>> different mechanisms to perform the comparison before
>> saying that the target object is dirty or not.
>
> I like this abstraction. But would it work with a mapper that
> returned several files to check dirty status given the proposed
> single object signtature?

As it is right now, TargetObject would be what the mapper has mapped
to, so it would work (you have a single source file and multiple
TargetObjects).

>> As far as naming goes, the Object part in TargetObject seems
>> pedantic to me.

What do you expect, it's me 8-)

> I don't like that name personally. TargetObject seems designed
> exclusively for SourceFileScanner, and thus should relate to it by
> name.  Something like SourceFileItem?

Which could be applied at both sides (taking the abstraction to the
source side as well), yes.  But if I wanted to move it to the source
side as well, I'll soon get into trouble with isDirty as FileItem
would need to know how to compare itself to a ZipItem or something.

Stefan