ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <script> and bsf
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:38:40 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:
>
>> I do propose this for a vote, provided I can of course
>
> Anybody can, you may consider putting it into a new thread (see the
> subject line and compare it with what we are getting at ;-).  To raise
> visibility you may put a [VOTE] tag into the subject as well.
>
> I won't be +1 for breaking backwards compatibility when adding ant a,b
> would solve the issue as well.  The default value for <ant>'s
> inheritall is wrong, but we didn't change it either.

I agree. The "cleanup" is a valid case - if a,b depend on "cleanup"
and need this to be executed before, then this would brake.

And I agree that using the new syntax ( and providing both behaviors)
is a good solution. It may add complexity and confusion.  It is not
a big priority IMO.

I don't like "a,b" too much - what would happen if spaces are used ?
My preference is to maybe use a + in front of all targets that will
be blended in the virtual target.

"ant a +b +c " would create a virtual target ( a+b+c ? ) that depends
on a, b and c and resolve the deps normally.
People can already add a real target with this dep and get the same
behavior - so it's more of a convenience.

As implementation - you know my preference for hooks and user-space :-)

I think it would be pretty nice if instead of implementing this in
Main ( or even Project), we would take all CLI options and put
them in a ref or props, and allow user tasks to access it. The "," or "+"
behavior can be implemented in a task ( or plugin, etc ), but
any other operation that depends on the CLI options can be supported.

In any case - this is very low on my list, I'll probably vote +0 on ",",
and -0 on changing the behavior.

Costin