ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <script> and bsf
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:31:57 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> - should "ant A B" behave like "ant A; ant B" or remove duplicated
>> targets ?
>
> It does neither of both.  It will execute common targets twice (so
> it's close to ant A; ant B), but properties set during the first pass
> will keep their value in the second pass - same for references.

That sounds like a clear bug that needs to be fixed.

>>> If you remove the references, you must not remove them from the
>>> Project reference table.
>>
>> I don't. I just remove the reference from the UnknownElement.
>
> But will the project references table now point to the UnknownElement
> or to the task?

It'll store UnknownElement ( i.e. PH will do put() with the UE ).
But get() method will return the real object (and do a maybeConfigure() ).

>> Well, the real problem is in the script implementation - the fact
>> that it "exports" all references and properties. This will not
>> work well with the "dynamic properties" and is at least inefficient.
>>
>> If we can find a way to implement "on-demand" in BSF - then things
>> might work well.
>
> With Ant 1.6 we are talking about jakarta-bsf.  If we need support
> from BSF to make <script> more useful in Ant, I'm sure we can get it.

Sounds good. It's not the biggest priority (for me )- I think it
is good to have getReference() return the Object - maybe other tasks are
using that.

BTW, it is quite nice to use a real programming language for
programming :-)
Maybe it would be a good idea to bundle jakarta-bsf with ant (
and maybe one scripting language - if we can find one with a compatible
license ) ?

Costin