ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Allen" <jallen...@cogeco.ca>
Subject RE: contributing to project
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 20:52:34 GMT
Conor,

Yeah, I'll consider a new name.  Actually this project grew out of frustration with other
utilities that attempted to do did this,
the sf one you mentioned included.  (I'd use them on a large project (100-300 classes) and
then it wouldn't compile w/o having to
fix certain things they had done manually.  Also, there was no way to reverse what they had
done for easier maintenance.)

Although I won't need to, cvs won't let you add a new file to the project--even if it's just
to create a diff file.  So
contributions from non-committers seem to be limited to modifying existing files only.

-Joshua

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:51 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: contributing to project

Joshua,

Are you aware that there already exists an importscrubber project at
sourceforge (http://importscrubber.sourceforge.net/) which includes an Ant
task, which is documented on the Ant external links page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html)? You may want to consider a
new name for your project.

As Steve said, we can't bundle every task with Ant, it just won't scale.
There is a variety of reasons why the current set of included tasks are in
Ant. These reasons range from core OS/JDK features, natural fit, to
cross-vendor tasks, to just plain history. Most new tasks will fit into
these categories or be to do with core Ant functionality.

Joshua Allen wrote:
> As it sounds like it's not going to be included I guess this is will be a purely academic
exercise.

> In any case where, I'll put the task in src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional,
but where do I put the xdocs?

If you are going to host this elsewhere, and there is no reason you should
not, you should use your own namespace (net.turingcomplete ?).

The xdocs that Steve referred to is the Ant documentation and he was
suggesting you make a change to external.xml to list your task in the
external links.

> A bigger problem is that I don't have write access to the repository so when I do "cvs
add" so it can generate a diff file, it
won't
> let me.
>
> cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository

You must be a committer to have write access to the CVS repository. What you
would need to do is make the changes to an anoncvs checkout and then
generate a patch file (cvs diff -u). A committer could then apply that patch.

Conor