ant-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Solofnenko <A.Solofne...@mdl.com>
Subject RE: Any chance to have <copy> to preserve file permissions?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:45:12 GMT
I do not know about you, but I need to be able to copy executable files
regardless how difficult it can be to implement. It is a basic
functionality. Sometimes I wonder if people really use some products.

- Alexey.

--
{ http://trelony.cjb.net/   } Alexey N. Solofnenko
Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 9:31 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: Any chance to have <copy> to preserve file permissions?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 7:44 PM

> Yes, everyone wishes ant could copy files on unix and
> preserve permissions. But, java doesn't recognize those
> permissions, so the copy cannot preserve them - it can't
> preserve something it does not see.
>
> You can use 'exec' to run 'cp' and preserve permissions...
>
> Alexey Solofnenko wrote:
> >
> > Fair enough. But don't you think it might be really important to be able
> > copy executable files on Unix?
> >
> > - Alexey.

At some point in the future, ant is bound add ant-native tasks where we do
our own JNI wrappers to do things not possible before: symlink work, getting
at permissions, maybe some more. But it would a dog to try and port, build,
test all that stuff for all the platforms ant supports, which is why I am
not in a rush to do it.

-steve