ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Need feedback on intended SourceFileScanner change
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:01:56 GMT
Comment below. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Magesh Umasankar [mailto:umagesh@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 6:38 PM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Need feedback on intended SourceFileScanner change

Instead of having getLastModified in TargetObject,
consider:

public boolean isDirtyWhenComparedWith(Object src);
or if the "WhenComparedWith" seems to be pedantic,
public boolean isDirty(Object src);

The FileTarget would compare using last modified
time stamps and if target file is older than
src file, this method would return false.

Other implementations of TargetObject may choose
different mechanisms to perform the comparison before
saying that the target object is dirty or not.

[DD] I like this abstraction. But would it work with a mapper that returned
several files to check dirty status given the proposed single object
signtature?

As far as naming goes, the Object part in TargetObject
seems pedantic to me.  Since we have a Target.java already,
how about naming it Targetable instead?

[DD] I don't like that name personally. TargetObject seems designed
exclusively for SourceFileScanner, and thus should relate to it by name.
Something like SourceFileItem?

Cheers,
Magesh