ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <jalbe...@cellectivity.com>
Subject RE: PropertyHelper.java
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:35:47 GMT
Hi Costin,

Some comments about PropertyHelper, I think that instead of declering members of the class
protected we should used private members and set/get protected accessors. This produces more
refactorable code and without funny side effects.

can someone explain (again?) why is the issue of inmutable properties
being revisited? I am one of those that pushed for inmutability early on
and would like to know why are we continuing to hit on this issue.

If people want mutable things, they can use References for that, which ARE
mutable. Maybe all what we need is syntax to be able to use then as strings,
and a simple task to create string references:

	<reference name="XRef" value="ZZZ"/>

	<echo>$[XRef]</echo>

Then we will have inmutable PROPERTIES and mutable REFERENCES and people
can pick and choose whatever they want.

OK, maybe ${...} should look in both PROPERTIES and REFERENCES in that order.

Jose Alberto