ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <>
Subject RE: Delayed element creation implementation
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:28:53 GMT
> From: Costin Manolache []
> If we want the description to apply to the _project_ and not
> to the task -
> then I agree, there is no way to implement <description> as a
> datatype.

My point here is that <description> is not something that should be
executed like a <task> or <datatype>. It needs to be eveluated at

The fact that it was originally implemented as a <datatype> was just because
datatypes happened to have this behaviour on this particular case.
But is was just a cute idea based on many assumption about the execution model.

> Implementing it in ProjectHelper is IMO the worst possible choice.
> ( the SAX parsing code should stay simple, and we loose the ability
> to use ant without having to do the XML parsing, but directly
> via API ).
> What I'll try is to make description similar with <import> ( in the
> sense that it'll walk the tree at startup ), and also
> "load-on-startup"
> ( so it'll be called even if there's no top-level description tag ).

I do not know how <import> particularly works, but if the parser (or something)
needs to recognize <import> and treat it diferent than say <echo>, then yes
this is exactly what I meant. Is it possible to redefine <import> using
<taskdef> to be something else? Would that make the parser stop treating <import>
specially? If the answers to any of the above questions is NO, then we are treating
these elements as syntactic elements.

> I don't think this is a show-stoper for the HEAD - it'll have to be
> fixed before the first beta, and I'll like to think more about it.

I agree, this should not be a showstopper at all.

Jose Alberto

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message