ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: contributing to project
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:50:43 GMT
Joshua,

Are you aware that there already exists an importscrubber project at
sourceforge (http://importscrubber.sourceforge.net/) which includes an Ant
task, which is documented on the Ant external links page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html)? You may want to consider a
new name for your project.

As Steve said, we can't bundle every task with Ant, it just won't scale.
There is a variety of reasons why the current set of included tasks are in
Ant. These reasons range from core OS/JDK features, natural fit, to
cross-vendor tasks, to just plain history. Most new tasks will fit into
these categories or be to do with core Ant functionality.

Joshua Allen wrote:
> As it sounds like it's not going to be included I guess this is will be a purely academic
exercise.

> In any case where, I'll put the task in src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional,
but where do I put the xdocs?

If you are going to host this elsewhere, and there is no reason you should
not, you should use your own namespace (net.turingcomplete ?).

The xdocs that Steve referred to is the Ant documentation and he was
suggesting you make a change to external.xml to list your task in the
external links.

> A bigger problem is that I don't have write access to the repository so when I do "cvs
add" so it can generate a diff file, it won't
> let me.
>
> cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository

You must be a committer to have write access to the CVS repository. What you
would need to do is make the changes to an anoncvs checkout and then
generate a patch file (cvs diff -u). A committer could then apply that patch.

Conor