ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Any chance to have <copy> to preserve file permissions?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:54:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexey Solofnenko" <A.Solofnenko@mdl.com>
To: "'Ant Developers List'" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 11:45 AM
Subject: RE: Any chance to have <copy> to preserve file permissions?

> I do not know about you, but I need to be able to copy executable files
> regardless how difficult it can be to implement.

well use the native cp command then, exec it from ant.

> It is a basic functionality.

No. Its a basic need. but it is nothing like basic functionality, at least
not in Java. I dont know what the bugID for the java bug database is, but
you can always open a new one. And if you can think of some wonderful cross
platform way to get it the functionaliy into <copy> then we will be happy to
add it, but before you keep complaining about our apparent incompetence, I
suggest you look further into the problem.

> Sometimes I wonder if people really use some products.

I'm not quite sure what that is meant to mean, but the way we do it is (a)
set permissions at the far end, and in the <tarfileset> fileset in <tar>.
The result there is that we can build tars, even on windows, that have all
the permissions right. Which is what you want when you are creating
redistributables.