ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: top level execution order
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2002 07:19:13 GMT
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok. Let me summarize the options:
>
> 1. Top-level gets executed _after_ xml processing, as part of
> resolving dependencies. That's the current HEAD
>
> 2. Top-level gets executed as part of xml processing and _before_
> resolving dependencies. ( the current EMBED ).
>
> 3. Same as 2, but each top-level element gets executed imediately
> after it is read.
>
> In 1 and 2 - we agree that delayed construction of tasks is required
> in order to support redefinition of core tasks.

Right.  And it would be in 3 as well to work for <taskdef>s inside of
<target>s.

So the problem of replacing built-in tasks is not related to the top
level execution order at all 8-)

> A side effect is cleaner and more consistent code in the xml
> processor

Exactly.  I think we all agree upon that, the only problem that may
arise are some difficult to track backwards incompatibilities we must
guard against.

If we switch to delayed construction (or lazy evaluation or whatever
you want to call it) and the testcase RhinoScriptTest passes - we are
pretty save, I guess.  This test just reproduces the examples from
<script>'s documentation that have been there since Ant 1.2 - we
better don't break them 8-)

Stefan

Oh, back to the subject, I'm leaning towards Option 3 from your list,
but can live with 2 as well.