ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Resolution for Ant top level project
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:24:50 GMT
On Mon, 04 Nov 2002, Bruce Atherton <bruce@callenish.com> wrote:

>> To handle inactive committers, I suggest we could proceed by
>> contacting any committer who did not vote to confirm whether they
>> wish to remain an Ant committer, PMC member, PMC member - emeritus,
>> etc.
>
> I think this is a reasonable approach, although I would make
> allowances for those unable to respond for a time due to RL
> interference.

Make them emeritus and when they find time to contribute again, they
can get back easily?

> Another option would be to allow the PMC to nominate and elect the
> chair from their number rather than taking a vote of committers

I don't think this would work as board would need to appoint an
officer when it passes the resolution.

> Based on this draft resolution, it looks like the position of chair
> is essentially "for life", until someone chooses to leave.

Depends on our bylaws, I guess.

> Is this the normal procedure within Apache?

I think Conor has just copied this from a different resolution
(incubator?), similar resolution have been passed before and then the
bylaws said something else.  If the bylaws said we'd swap the chairman
position on an annual basis, it would come down to the current
chairman stepping back and the board appointing a new officer every
year.

> Would the declaration in the resolution be binding on the terms
> allowed in the bylaws?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the board would have to approve the
bylaws - which would change part of the resolution in retrospect.

> "Can you imagine a situation where you would want subprojects to
> come under the Ant umbrella?" I can, so I am +1 on allowing for
> subprojects in the resolution.

Same here.

Last week I said I wanted exactly one code base, but it is rather easy
to imagine that we split out task libraries or similar things.  As
long as the PMC is very strict here, I see no problems with the
current words myself.

Stefan