ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incremental compilation interface in Ant
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:23:37 GMT
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, <isberg@parc.com> wrote:

> I'm writing a taskdef that supports incremental compilation
> during the lifetime of the process[1], and I'm curious if others
> have opinions about the best view/controller interface --
> esp. pitfalls I haven't considered.

One pitfall is that you may run into memory leaks of javac (or Ant) if
you keep it running over and over again.  Another one is that you will
get strange failures (on Windows) if your build modifies a jar that is
on the Java VMs CLASSPATH.

>   Another approach would be to use an InputHandler.
>   Will this work when forking?

What do you want to fork?  I'm not sure I understand the question.
InputHandler is local to Ant and is not passed to any tasks.

>   Is it instead possible to define message types when logging, so
>   compiler messages can be extracted/distinguished from random text
>   by any clients?

You can only set the log-level.  But maybe you can use <record> to
create logfiles that only contain the output of your compiler task?

Stefan