ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: top level execution order
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:56:10 GMT
Another downside of the HEAD version: As I pointed out last week, the
way CVS HEAD works breaks backwards compatibilty in a subtle way
because <taskdef>s will no longer be executed before the task
definitions are encountered by the parser right now.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The downside is that if tasks like <echo> or <javac> are used at top
> level, they will be executed when -projecthelp is called.

And when the parser detects an error after some of the tasks have been
run ...

> Unfortunately it is not possible to implement -projecthelp
> and also allow <javac> _and_ allow import in a clean way.

Not that I'd like any of the solutions too much:

* marker interface for tasks to be run at parser time.

* implement <import> by something that is not a task.

> The only solution is to document this and explain the
> behavior

Third option, and probably the one I like most.  But I still want to
wait a few days to see whether anybody finds yet another solution to
make that a fully supported +1.

> Stefan - can you live with the top-level processing in embed ?

My opinion is not that important, just one of a whole bunch of
committers.

Stefan