ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: top level execution order
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:55:23 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Not so if we find a different solution (like not instantiating tasks
> at parser time is).
>
> But "replacement of built-in tasks" in Ant 1.2 until Ant 1.5.x relies
> on the fact that top-level taskdefs get executed immediately.

Ok. Let me summarize the options:

1. Top-level gets executed _after_ xml processing, as part of resolving
dependencies. That's the current HEAD

2. Top-level gets executed as part of xml processing and _before_ resolving
dependencies. ( the current EMBED ).

3. Same as 2, but each top-level element gets executed imediately after it
is read.

In 1 and 2 - we agree that delayed construction of tasks is required in
order to support redefinition of core tasks. A side effect is cleaner and
more consistent code in the xml processor ( a lot of the special cases go
away ). Another benefit is that "meta-tasks" ( things that operate on the
build tree, like import  ) will have a lot more power.

I can live with 2 and 3, I preffer 2 because it is cleaner and more
consistent. Another benefit of 2 is that it keeps the xml reading very
simple and is easier to allows embedding applications to do ant without any
xml involved ( by creating the tree ).

Costin