ant-dev mailing list archives

From loic.lefe...@bnpparibas.com
Subject Réf. : Re: javac task
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:37:09 GMT

> >Hello,
> >One thing I would like to know is the way the files to be compiled are
> >managed.
>
> There is no way anyone would countenance fixing the dependency checking to
> handle files that are in the wrong place according to the java lang rules.
>
> The only thing we could possibly consider doing is have something look at
> the source of every file and whenever a file is in the 'wrong' place, fail
> the build with a 'hey, this file has the wrong package name' error. But that
> would slow down every build and be a regression against those cases where
> people had stuff in the wrong place and didnt care about rebuild issues.
>
> But recompilation is only a fraction of the reason why it is wrong to have
> stuff in the wrong place, and therefore not our problem to fix it,

Well maybe an optional parameter named somethingchecking="true/false"
could be useful then? How about it?

> >Take the following src directory structure:
>
> >src -+- org - +- foo -+- Foo.java
> >                                     +- Foo2.java
>
> >Now if the Foo.java file has the package name: org.foo
> >and Foo2.java has no package name
>
> then what happens if Foo.java goes:
>
> import Foo2.java; ?

In fact, the aim of Foo2 could be a test class, I'm sure such class
exist in a lot of project :-(

> the underlying javac compiler knows about dir structure and demand compiles
> dependency files if they are in the right place. But if they arent it doesnt
> know what to do, and the compiler dies.
>
> so: if you keep stuff out of place, it aint just ant's problem, and you do
> need to fix it. sorry

Well are you telling me that if developers make errors then it's not ant's problem
or it should rather be the goal of a *new* task?

I don't know if the javac compiler can report such directory-class-dependency
errors but if it don't then who does?

> -steve

Loïc