ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Shackelford, John-Mason" <Sha...@ncs.com>
Subject RE: PROPOSAL: top level execution order
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:58:11 GMT
Costin,

> Every opinion is important.
Though some opinions are more important than others ;) I offer an
indisputably unimportant one ;) :

> document this and explain the behavior

I agree that to use javac, etc. as top level tasks is bad practice; but if
it is allowed, it ought not break -projecthelp, etc.

A fourth option--which I doubt will be acceptible to anyone--would be to
limit top level tasks. This is probably not worth considering.

A fifth option which is which combines elements of all others (excepting #3)
is to use a marker interface--or a different base class, etc.--to set aside
a class of import-like tasks. These can then all be handled first.
ProjectHelper becomes only a bit more complex, only these special case tasks
are required to have the "marker", and import can remain a task all without
breaking -projecthelp, etc. The downside here is that having two types of
tasks could be confusing.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
NCS Pearson - Measurement Services