ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: Ant on slashdot
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:43:09 GMT
I too want to chime in with my words of praise.

As with any such tools, the usual use pattern is to jump in, get a job done, and forget about
it.  As a result, you find yourself at some point with a good understanding of some points
and others are complete blanks.  This, and not the beginner stage, is the point where a book
like this is really great -
when you have a body of knowledge about the subject to build on and this takes you to the
next level.

There are always things you missed.
Like when was
	<property name="foo" location="bar"/>
instead of
	<property name="foo" value="/where/the/hell/is/bar"/>
introduced?

Go ahead, tell me version 0.9, I don't care, but until I bought the book that had always managed
to elude me.

Also the parts about using the <ant> task to launch subsidiary scripts provided me with
many useful ideas.  This would be a subject for another whole book, "Advanced Ant", dealing
with subjects like

when to use <antcall> to call a task within the file
vs.
when to use !ENTITY inclusion
vs.
when to <ant> to make a call into another build file (such as a library)