ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: TaskContainer and nested data-types
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:10:19 GMT
I too think TaskContainers should be able to contain datatypes.

What Stefan is not saying is that <if> and <switch> from ant-contrib are
task containers, and thus cannot contain datatypes! I tried to put a <path>
in them, and it didn't work, so I called in master Stefan, thus the current
thread...

It may be frown upon by many Anters, but I really like this ability to
define <path> and other datatypes conditionally, while avoiding the
multiplication of conditional targets Ant-proper forces to use. (trust me, I
know enough about Ant to make that statement, and I have tried the pure Ant
way...)

Furthermore, <property>, which is a Task, but in fact mostly behaves as a
which behaves like a datatype and *is* a datatype.

So please, *fix* the current behavior ;-) Thanks, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephane Bailliez [mailto:sbailliez@apache.org]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

[...]
> Should data-types be allowed inside TaskContainer?

I cannot see any reason why they could not. Except enforcing data types
definition outside for style.
Do you ?

> If so, UnknownElement needs to get fixed.

Houston, we have a problem.
[DD] Funny you should say that, I'm in Houston ;-)

Recent history shows that we cannot fix something that is possibly wrong
even though it is are plain incorrect/invalid/counterintituive. Which means
that if someone is shooting in his foot right now she must continue and we
must give them unlimited ammos to fulfill her action for the sake of
backward compatibility. Amen.

I don't think that myself, and I think nothing is black nor white, what is
wrong should be fixed to avoid further problems in the future, you'd better
catch it now than 6 months later. But this is a typical example.

I know, I'm a PITA :)
[DD] So am I, and I agree with you too ;-)