ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Réf. : Re: Commons Validator
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:39:00 GMT
I fail to see the problem here... Ant has two types of tasks. The core tasks
with no external dependencies (everything they need is either in Ant or the
Java Standard Library circa 1.1!), and the optional tasks which have
additional external dependencies. There are many such external tasks.

So your custom task can (and probably should!) use Commons Validator, and
simply state that dependencies so that users of your task fetch it. The
<script> task needs BSF and a BSF compatible scripting language JAR, and
everything peachy.

So no, Commons Validator will not become part of Ant, but that shouldn't
stop you from using it! --DD

PS: And if you really improved on the Commons Validator code, maybe you
should contribute your code there...

-----Original Message-----
From: loic.lefevre@bnpparibas.com [mailto:loic.lefevre@bnpparibas.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 9:22 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Réf. : Re: Commons Validator

Well I'm currently working on JOE
(http://joe-task.sourceforge.net/JOE-TASK.html)
and I need some methods to tell me if a string is a byte
or a long... Indeed, I can code them but I found the Commons
Validator package which is part of jakarta so I thought this
package could help other people as I need it.
To tell you the trutt I've already coded those methods
inspired on those in the Commons Validator, and they are faster ;-)

Well, it is up to you...
Loïc