ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: top level execution order
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:04:06 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:
> Conor MacNeill wrote:
>

>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>The downside is that Centipede will no longer work :-(
>>>
>>>We use this [embed] feature so that we can transform a template and
>>>import the result, all in one swoop, as has already been described here
>>>and it seemed to be a useful feature.
>
>>Let me just repeat what I said in an earlier mail. If you rely on an
>>unreleased feature then you do so at a risk that the feature may morph or
>>disappear. This is a risk you have chosen to accept and not the Ant
>
> That's true for almost any software project, and not only unreleased
> features :-)

I know, I know, can't someone lobby in peace? ;-P

> In case the top-level order proposal is not accepted or if <import>
> will not be accepted or accepted with different behavior - Nicola can
> still use the embed proposal or a fork of it ( I plan to have it match
> the behavior of what gets accepted in ant16 ).

There is a need for an import system or equivalent, so I'm confident
that a similar feature will eventually make his way in Ant.
If/when it happens we will switch to that, and use the embed proposal in
the meantime; if not I'm quite sure that we can keep our import version
as is being done now with the embed proposal.

> I think the real important thing is to find the best solution - if that
> would break Centipede or will be different than what embed does is
> less important ( as long as it is a better solution ).

Yes :-)

As long as I'm enabled to do what I need in Centipede, I don't care how
it's done.
Anyway it goes, if anyone can show me a better solution I'd be very
happy :-)
If not, I'm happy still :-)

Ant RULES! :-)  And Centipede is not bad either, eh? ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -