ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <gus-ant...@cognition.olin.edu>
Subject Re: Request: Change <javac> debug default to "on"
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:58:28 GMT

> Add a new magic property: build.compiler.debugofflevel
> which when set will be used instead of ":none" when debug not specified or
> defined as false.

Did he say magic property? uh oh...

(Mail shield up)

Magic properties have been fairly unpopular. They generally obfuscate
behavior, and clutter up the namespace available for properties. In this
case it would put critical information (critical for some at least)
about what javac is really doing in an obscure location away from the
invocation of the javac task.

Besides this I am not sure why setting a property would be better than
setting the flag in javac. The point under discussion is should the
_default_behavior_ change. There isn't really any need for a new way to
customize the behavior of javac globally is there?

-Gus