ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Resolution for Ant top level project
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:07:21 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Nov 2002, Henri Gomez <hgomez@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm not a commiter in ant but I don't understand why ant should
>>leave jakarta.
>
> Growing up doesn't mean you never visit your parents 8-)

Exactly.

>>Who will be the next major jakarta project to ask to became a top
>>project ? Tomcat ? Turbine ? POI ?

Probably all the big projects will.

> Why would that be bad?  Becoming a top-level project doesn't
> (necessarily) mean that the committers leave the Jakarta community.
>
> It's certainly up to the committers of any subproject (and has always
> been, BTW).

Yes, definately.

It has been advocated that Jakarta remains as an aggregation point for
Java-based projects, as it has always been.

Instead of depending on the Jakarta PMC, Ant will have its own, with the
legal and organizational benefits that have already been discussed.

Jakarta will probably serve more in the future as a community of
federated Java projects; in fact, I envision that XML.Apache projects
partecipate in the Jakarta community too, like Cocoon for example.

Instead of depending on the Jakarta PMC, Ant will have its own, with the
legal and organizational benefits that have already been discussed.

It's not about removing Jakarta, it's about giving more organizational
space to projects, legal coverage and the freedom for all Apache
projects to partecipate in a wider Jakarta community.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -