ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject [Proposal] Resolution for Ant top level project
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:11:54 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to initiate a dicsussion on the next steps to take Ant to a top
level project within Apache. For this to happen, I believe we would need two
things - a resolution to put to the board and the membership of the initial
Ant PMC.

I have attached a draft resolution below. This is a pretty standard cut and
paste of the recent resolutions passed by the board for other top level
projects. The only issue here I think is to settle on a suitable scope for
the Ant project. The scope I have used in the draft is slightly recursive in
nature so if anyone has any thoughts, let's discuss them.

As for the make up of the PMC, I think we should aim for a PMC comprising
all active committers. This may be  a good opportunity to trim the Ant
committer list to those who are currently active. The avail list includes
many committers inherited when Ant was separated from Tomcat.

This is a proposal at this stage, not a vote. I think it would be good to
have some discussion before moving to a vote. I envisage there would be a
vote on two independent issues.

1. For/Against the draft (as revised after discussions) being sent to the board.

2. Whether you would be prepared to serve on the Ant PMC in the event the
resolution is approved by ant-dev and the board.

To handle inactive committers, I suggest we could proceed by contacting any
committer who did not vote to confirm whether they wish to remain an Ant
committer, PMC member, PMC member - emeritus, etc.

We would also need to choose an initial PMC chairman. I guess each voter
could indicate their willingness to act as chairman. If there is more than
one, we will probably require an additional vote.

Thoughts?
Conor

Draft Resolution
==================

open-source software related to the Apache Ant build tool.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Ant PMC", be
and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Ant PMC be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Ant build
system.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Ant"
be and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache Ant PMC, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Ant PMC; and be it further

Apache Ant PMC:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that XXXXXXX be and
hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache
Ant, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Ant PMC be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the
Apache Ant Project.