ant-dev mailing list archives

From Yyy Xxx <gj...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Project.toXML() ?
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:29:12 GMT
Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dominique Devienne wrote:

>> I'm amazed how a DOM-based ProjectHelper always gets dismissed
>> when it's clearly the ideal solution to provide serialization back
>> to XML from the original XML (among other things):

>Ant1.5 supports pluggable ProjectHelpers, and nothing stops you from
>creating a DOM-based one.

Are there any articles, tutorials or examples on writing custom
ProjectHelpers?  I've looked through the code and, with all due
respect, the ProjectHelpers look like an afterthought hack.

I'd like to read build.xml from an InputStream (originating in a JAR).
Ant seems to be very file based wrt configuring projects.  Static
methods of the ProjectHelper takes an explicit File object and have a
comment about custom ProjectHelperImpls needing to propogate this for
backwards compatability.  I don't understand this comment in the
context of custom helpers.

The interface which customer helpers should implement is not clear cut.
 Both ProjectHelper and ProjectHelperImpl contain static methods and
ProjectHelperImpl extends ProjectHelper (instead of implementing it).
ProjectHelperImpl seems to do double-duty as a file reader and an XML
SAX handler.  It's not clear how to redirect the input source in a
custom helper subclass while reusing the parsing capability of
ProjectHelperImpl.

Any help on this would be appreciated.