ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Resolution for Ant top level project
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:05:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com>

> > The term of the chair and the mode of future elections would be covered
by
> > the bylaws of the Ant project. The development of these would b the
first
> > task of the new PMC. I would expect the chair to be elected by the PMC
> > annually as is currently done for the Jakarta PMC. I don't think some
sort
> > of lifetime appointment is the way to go.
>
> And probably a time limit would also be good ( like 2 terms ).

any term limit should be on sequential terms, rather than total #. That way
you can become chair again, it just has to rotate around.

> Few important issues:
> - revolution rules ( those are specific to jakarta AFAIK - and I think
> they should be included in the bylaws or clarified ). ( well, the implicit
> majority-gets-the-name rule cover that, so we can skip it )

but you bring up the voting rules, which you have had the most experience of
in tomcat land

> - if ant will have sub-projects - will we have multiple communities or
> a single community ( like jakarta-commons ) ?
>
> - should we host an 'open sub-project' - open to jakarta and apache
> committers - for contributed tasks ? For example tomcat people could
> maintain tomcat-related tasks. A sort of ant-commons :-)

Interesting issue. ant.apache.org could certainly build and host the sub ant
tasks of other groups, if they arent too coupled to the runtimes. Though I'm
happy looking after axis-ant tasks in axis; anything tightly coupled should
stay with the appropriate other libraries.

> - should we have a sandbox ( like jakarta-commons-sandbox ) for
ant-specific
> work ?

+1