ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request: Change <javac> debug default to "on"
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 00:36:05 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>

You are right - maybe the original post should have
first addressed ant-user to see if such a change
would adversely affect users.  If not, then, I will
withdraw my objection in ant-dev though I would
scream in ant-user, I being one ;-)  I am not
suggesting somebody start a vote in the user forum -
that is, unless, s/he feels very strongly about this...

> Personally, I don't put much merit to any argument that
> says we can't make a change because build files would
> have to change.
>
> Every time I switch to a new version of Ant, I'm switching
> to take advantage of some new capability.

What if - you write your build.xml for your own reusable
sub-module.  There is this consumer module that invokes your
build file.

If the Consumer App uses 1.6, should you be forced to
change your build file which was written for 1.5 and
make it different with ConsumerAppB which uses 1.5?

There are ways to address this issue, but what
I am trying to point out is that one must not be
forced to change something unless there is a very
pressing need - in this case, I just don't see it.

> So, I gotta
> change my build files anyhow. I just don't buy the 'build
> files' argument...

Cheers,
Magesh

PS: Being an Ant user (not just a dev guy), I wouldn't
be thrilled to change my numerous <javac> invocations
just so that I can use a new feature being provided
to me by an upgrade.