ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Resolution for Ant top level project
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 23:50:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Jakarta Project Management Committee List" <pmc@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 5:11 AM
Subject: [Proposal] Resolution for Ant top level project

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to initiate a dicsussion on the next steps to take Ant to a top
> level project within Apache. For this to happen, I believe we would need
two
> things - a resolution to put to the board and the membership of the
initial
> Ant PMC.
>
> I have attached a draft resolution below. This is a pretty standard cut
and
> paste of the recent resolutions passed by the board for other top level
> projects. The only issue here I think is to settle on a suitable scope for
> the Ant project. The scope I have used in the draft is slightly recursive
in
> nature so if anyone has any thoughts, let's discuss them.
>
> As for the make up of the PMC, I think we should aim for a PMC comprising
> all active committers. This may be  a good opportunity to trim the Ant
> committer list to those who are currently active. The avail list includes
> many committers inherited when Ant was separated from Tomcat.

I think Inactive committers should be documented in the 'Committer Emeritus'
page so their effort isnt forgotten, and to make it easier for them to
become active.

> This is a proposal at this stage, not a vote. I think it would be good to
> have some discussion before moving to a vote. I envisage there would be a
> vote on two independent issues.
>
> 1. For/Against the draft (as revised after discussions) being sent to the
board.

+1, with enough scope in there to cover sub-ant projects, including separate
ant task projects.

> 2. Whether you would be prepared to serve on the Ant PMC in the event the
> resolution is approved by ant-dev and the board.

yes, provided it doesnt take up too much time or involve getting up early.

> To handle inactive committers, I suggest we could proceed by contacting
any
> committer who did not vote to confirm whether they wish to remain an Ant
> committer, PMC member, PMC member - emeritus, etc.
>
> We would also need to choose an initial PMC chairman. I guess each voter
> could indicate their willingness to act as chairman. If there is more than
> one, we will probably require an additional vote.

I like bruce's strategy there; it decouples issues.

> Thoughts?

There is a lot more of a community in Jakarta than there is in
xml.apache.org. I dont want to lose our membership of that community by
going standalone with our own PMC, yet I see the rationale for going
forwards.

-steve