ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing Class-Path from Ant's own manifest
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:24:52 GMT
On Tue, 01 Oct 2002, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> I know the idea was that "java -jar ant.jar" could start Ant, but
>> that doesn't work anyway and we currently highly recommend to use
>> the wrapper scripts we ship.
>
> AFAIK - it does work very well

But requires you to add tools.jar to your CLASSPATH manually if you
want to run <javac> and use java -Dant.home=${ANT_HOME} -jar ant.jar
if you want to use <exec> and your JDK is < 1.3 and ...

There are many things that will not work without manually doing what
the scripts do AFAIK.

> I agree Class-Path creates problems sometimes, as it's not as easy
> to control as CLASSPATH env - so I'm +1.

Cool.

> Would you mind a separate jar ( like ant-run.jar or bootstrap.jar )
> in bin, with only the Class-Path manifest ?

Not at all.

What would we need to put into it?  A manifest with a Class-Path that
includes ant.jar and the Main class, nothing else, correct?

> Removing the file from ant/lib could resolve the problem.

As long as everybody using that shared installation (assuming it is
shared) puts an XML parser in her CLASSPATH.  I'd call that a
workaround, not a fix 8-)

Stefan