ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jar task, manifest issue
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:10:26 GMT
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Michael Salmon <ms@formulae.org> wrote:

> Though I havent found it to be the case for manifest.mf files, it is
> easily possible that a phone could screw up.

Possible, yes.

> I dont see the reason why the data from a manifest is read into a
> hash and print it out (assuming that's how it's done) rather then
> simply copy the file retaining order.

Because Ant validates your manifest, may merge it with some other
manifests and even helps you by enforcing the specification (by
breaking lines that are too long, for example).

> Simply put: if I say I want to use file a for my manifest, changing
> that file in any way makes it a' which is not what I asked the tool
> to do.

The special handling of manifests is pretty much the only difference
between <jar> and <zip> (well, the encoding of filenames has different
default values as well).  If you trust you manifest file more than Ant
(and you may have good reasons to do so), you may be better of using
<zip>.

>> > To include this file, set filesetManifest to a value other than
>> > 'skip'."
>>
>> This message should be gone in 1.5.1.
>
> I am going off what is in cvs head.

Oops, will check.

> Currently "skip" is unsettable and not set by default (as the code
> says).

And cannot be set by default for backwards compatibility.

Stefan