ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JMX and Ant (Re: Extending Ant [was RE: Comparing files in subdirectories])
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:57:36 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> You propose that Ant is an MBean server also, and not just a collection
> of MBeans waiting to be managed, right?  And that the server aspect of
> it is how the introspection/parsing will control the tasks and such?

Ant can't be an MBean server - the 'server' is one implementation of JMX
( like MX4J or JMXRI ). Ant can register itself ( Project, Task ) and
it can register the tasks. And it can operate on Mbeans registered by
other programs.

There are 2 sides: one allows other applications to view ant ( and
any task ) as an MBean. Using directly the API and calling the methods is
simple enough, but I think there is a lot of value in exposing it
as mbeans. ( this shouldn't be done directly, of course - but using an
add-on layer ).

The other side is using ant to control MBeans. For example tomcat
has most of the components 'jmx enabled' and much more will follow.
Starting tomcat in-process, adding contexts ( in-process or out of
process) and all the other operations will be easier to automate with
more generic tasks ( instead of using special tasks for tomcat,
you could use some jmx tasks ).

>> The other side is having ant tasks to control/load/manipulate MBeans.
>> I want to finish this before tomcat5.0 ( and use this as a way to
>> start/configure tomcat inside ant ).
>
> Thats a completely separate aspect to this, but definitely cool.
>
> Now to find some time to study up on MBeans and toy with it.  I look
> forward to more of this and perhaps you dropping some code into a
> proposal directory to see how it works.

I'm trying to first merge the tomcat-util DynamicMBean into
commons-modeler. There is already one patch ( probably 2-3 months ago)
that adds some jmx tasks ( I think it needs a bit of improvements ).
I don't remember who sent it ( it wasn't me ).

Costin