ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:46:46 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Is Roy saying that jakarta commiters are not protected unless each
>> is member of the PMC ?
>
> This has been my understanding of it, yes.

Yet jakarta-commons can't form a PMC - unless of course they move to
apache-commons, where a PMC already exists...

I know the law is flexible and it can be interpreted in many ways -
and I wouldn't have doubted this if it came 1/2 year ago and outside
the 'flatten jakarta' argument.

>> This is a majority decision
>
> In a different mail, Greg Stein outlines the process, and what needs
> to be done is to present a resolution to the board - and the
> resolution would need community consensus.

I already voted -0 ( i.e. it won't affect the consensus ). If you and
Conor are +1 - I'm willing to change my vote to +0. But I would feel
much better if I knew this decision was made in a calmer environment,
and based on what's best and not unclear arguments ( including the
original proposal from Nicola ).

So if you post a clear proposal for a resolution to be sent to the
board, and if you and Conor are +1 on it, you'll have my +0 vote.

>> 2. Who should be part of this PMC ? My vote is for 'all active
>> commiters'.
>
> I trust Roys mail, as he speaks legalese a lot better than myself -
> and add to that that I'm completely ignorant when it comes to US law.
> As a sidenote, I pretty much doubt the ASF is going to protect myself
> from being sued by a German company using German law.
>
> Back to the point, I couldn't accept any committer who was not a
> member of the PMC at the same time with Roy's clarification.

Not sure what that means :-)

By 'active commiters' I meant people who are 'active' and 'committers' in
ant ( by whatever criteria - posting on lists, commits, etc ). An
alternative is 'all present and past committers who sticked around for 3
months' - which is the httpd model.
Or any other mechanical/objective criteria.

--
Costin