ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:23:37 GMT
I think we should postpone this discussion until we get an
official board position on the legal issues.

It seems a decision is made based on this email from Roy.

Is Roy saying that jakarta commiters are not protected unless
each is member of the PMC ? That means that for the last
2 years the ASF didn't offer the legal protection it was supposed
to do ? And the board just ignored the problem for some reasons ?  Roy is
also saying that having a PMC requires beeing a top level project ( i.e.
out of jakarta - which seems to be his goal ). At the same time other
board members seem to have a different opinion.

I think it is better to wait for the Board to clarify those issues.
If indeed this is required from legal point of view - then
we have no other choice and the argument that Stefano and Nicola
is using should apply to all jakarta projects, automatically and
asap. Or to imediately disolve jakarta PMC ( which wouldn't be
bad :-), and create a new Jakarta PMC formed by all jakarta
committers.

Nicola - I partially understand your enthusiasm. But shouldn't
you first do this in avalon and cocoon ? Centipede is a nice
project, but I think you're taking a very wrong approach to promote
it.

Stefan - I can't argue with your decision, but I think you are
making it based on wrong data.

This is a majority decision - but seems like an important one,
and we should at least have a clear understanding of the legal
issues and a clear proposal with each decision clearly defined
( wich doesn't seem the case ).

1. Should Ant have a formal PMC ? My vote is +1

2. Who should be part of this PMC ? My vote is for 'all active commiters'.

3. Should Ant be a top level project ? My vote is -0.

4. Should Ant have a domain ant.apache.org ? Certainly +1

5. Should Ant leave Jakarta ? My strong -1.

6. Should Ant be transformed into a group of projects including centipede,
maven, etc ? I think -1.

7. Should Centipede be accepted in apache/jakarta ? +1

8. Should Forest be the default content generation in
jakarta/apache/incubator/etc ? -1 ( for the same reason I -1
'lets convert all to maven' )

Costin

--
Costin