ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:20:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> I have a hard time from Nicola's mail figuring out what this -really-
>> means.
>
> Well, INAL, but Apache is made out of Projects.
> Jakarta is a Project, XML is a Project, etc...
>
> Plainly put, making Ant a top-level project would automatically make it
> get out of the *dependency* to Jakarta and its PMC.

What 'dependency' to jakarta do you see ?

And why removing the *dependency* between jakarta and ant be benefical to
either of them ?

Jakarta is a bit more than just a container for a dozen or so of
sub-projects - it is also a community and a brand.

> It's just a matter of being indipendent of Jakarta and having a PMC that
> reports *directly* to the Apache board.

And this is a benefit how ? Jakarta PMC is elected by jakarta commiters -
and usually knows a lot more about jakarta projects than the apache board
( or so it seems ).

( that besides having almost 1/2 of the members commiters on ant )

> Honestly, I don't see how having a PMC *and* remaining under Jakarta, if
> ever possible, would help in any way.

And I don't see why having a PMC and remaining under jakarta are exclusive.

--
Costin