ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: Submissions and Patches
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:00:39 GMT

>From another "occasional contributor" I also am trying to balance my appreciation for
the volunteer work the committers do, with some sort of assurance that the patches I submit
will be dealt with within some X time frame.  For example, do new releases go out while there
are patch submissions that have not been included?  I'm not talking about patches that are
questionable for some reason but of patches that no one has had time to get around to looking
at.

I should say that the committers who have been responsible for my patches have always dealt
with them, but occasionally did require gentle reminders.

I think that there must be a place in the Open Source model for the person who fixes a problem
or has agreed to be responsible for maintaining a small corner of a large application, as
well as for the hero who devotes a large amount of time to the project.  Though the place
of the "hero" is larger, the "occasionally contributing user" also has an important place
in the Open Source ideology and should not be short-shrifted.

Again, I am not charging that anyone does this, but merely that it can be frustrating for
the contributor to have no idea when his patch will be attended to.

By the way, I expect to have a new StarTeam patch for Ant soon.  It's been over six months
since the last one, but that's a good pace for me and it's user-driven.  I am fixing what
the users who write have asked me to fix.