ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: JMX and Ant (Re: Extending Ant [was RE: Comparing files in subdirectories])
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:46:03 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Ant can't be an MBean server - the 'server' is one implementation of JMX
> ( like MX4J or JMXRI ). Ant can register itself ( Project, Task ) and
> it can register the tasks. And it can operate on Mbeans registered by
> other programs.

*scratching my head* - so in a normal command-line run of Ant, MBean's
would not really come into play.  Only the normal introspection
population would apply in this case.  right?

> There are 2 sides: one allows other applications to view ant ( and
> any task ) as an MBean. Using directly the API and calling the methods is
> simple enough, but I think there is a lot of value in exposing it
> as mbeans. ( this shouldn't be done directly, of course - but using an
> add-on layer ).

Whats the benefit to Ant users of the MBean architecture?  Or is it only
for embedded uses of Ant such as Tomcat's compilation and such?

> The other side is using ant to control MBeans. For example tomcat
> has most of the components 'jmx enabled' and much more will follow.
> Starting tomcat in-process, adding contexts ( in-process or out of
> process) and all the other operations will be easier to automate with
> more generic tasks ( instead of using special tasks for tomcat,
> you could use some jmx tasks ).

Very cool, of course.  Good to see Tomcat doing this.

	Erik