ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject JMX and Ant (Re: Extending Ant [was RE: Comparing files in subdirectories])
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:05:04 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
>>By the way, I attended a JMX presentation this past weekend and have
>>been mulling over how MBeans could be used as well :)
>

> I'm _very_ glad to hear that !! I really hope this discussion will start
> soon.
>
> I have one piece of experimental code that turns each ant task into
> an MBean automatically and without any change in the task itself ( it's
> using tomcat DynamicMBean, which can turn any java bean into an mbean using
> introspection ). It is  also quite easy to provide MBean interfaces to
> Project and Target. So the entire ant can be used as a collection
> of mebeans and manipulated using jmx.

Slick.

So, lets continue...

You propose that Ant is an MBean server also, and not just a collection
of MBeans waiting to be managed, right?  And that the server aspect of
it is how the introspection/parsing will control the tasks and such?

> The other side is having ant tasks to control/load/manipulate MBeans.
> I want to finish this before tomcat5.0 ( and use this as a way to
> start/configure tomcat inside ant ).

Thats a completely separate aspect to this, but definitely cool.

Now to find some time to study up on MBeans and toy with it.  I look
forward to more of this and perhaps you dropping some code into a
proposal directory to see how it works.

	Erik